Thursday, October 3, 2013

Dresses and Dates and Homecoming! Oh, my!

Breathe in. Smell that? It's the gorgeous scent of the new school year, the oncoming autumn, and ,yes, homecoming. Homecoming is the one thing that the returning students to Sparta High look forward to all the while breaking in new courses, new friends, and ,inevitably, the new school schedule- which I still have mixed feelings about. If you're not from the general Sparta area, homecoming to you is probably another day in the life of awkward high-schoolers trying to ask a pretty girl to a dance while trying to keep his dignity and cool. At Sparta, though, homecoming starts basically from the first day of summer up until the day after the dance, because we're all trying to come down from "homecoming high". From the seniors trying to out prove the juniors to the famed Red Apple that glistens in the light, homecoming is all that jazz and more. Every grade puts together a float, which of course means that a select group of creative people come up with the ideas while the less creative try to nail a piece of plywood to another piece of plywood. Then comes the mock rock, fancy wording for a dance created exclusively by the grade at hand- freshmen create the freshmen mock rock, juniors create junior mock rock and so on and so forth. In the midst of the "dancing" is the hope that maybe a class will beat the senior class and prove their dominance on the food chain of high school. Usually it's no good but we continue to hope and wish. Then, the day of the homecoming football game, all we do is play games that show our less athletic and more fun side of life to win points for each grade. Then homecoming dance is the next night and is filled with memories and pictures that will last a lifetime in the hearts of many.
My homecoming experiences have been very interesting. I was the new child at Sparta last year and with only a month to make friends, I went with a group that I was not particularly close to. None the less, it was enjoyable and I will always remember it as my first dance as a highschooler. Scary. This year, with me actually having friends, I am going with my tight-knit group of kin. I hope to have an enormous amount of fun and hopefully will create new memories.
To conclude this ridiculously long post, I leave you with the words of Mr. Burrows
"Live. Do not merely exist."

4 comments:

  1. So true, each year Juniors fight in hope that they will win against the Seniors. Its all useless, but we try hard. Homecoming is always one of those amazing memories that stays with us forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you were new last year, it feels like you have been here forever! I'm so glad you love homecoming week and hope you had tons of fun at the dance. Homecoming is something Sparta does great and brings everyone together no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homecoming is a time where everyone in Sparta comes together. Your writing was a good display of the values we share. Nice JOb!! I love the quote from Mr. Burrows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homecoming was really fun and I am glad that we went together! It was really fun! A happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete